Comments?

Look forward to any comments or suggestions you might have. Please address them to:















rogerwilliams623@gmail.com















Thanks!


NOTE: Contrary to what it says in the blog, the blogsite has changed its software. In order to enlarge a picture, you'll need to doubleclick on the picture, go to "Picture" on the tool bar, go down to "Zoom" and select a magnification. After you've looked at the enlarged picture, you'll need to go back and resize it to 100%.
Sorry!




Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 27, 2010

Waston Lake, Yukon to Bell2 Lodge, British Columbia

I left the Alaska Hiway behind in Watson Lake and headed south on Hwy 37, the Cassiar Hiway that runs through central/western British Columbia, actually coming within about 35 miles of the Alaska border again near Ketchikan.  Not going there, though.

The further south I got the better the scenery became as we are going through the Cassiar Mountains. 


Somewhere north of Dease Lake, I came upon this as I crested a hill:



According to the map, these are the famous "Three Sisters".  I couldn't get any closer than the hiway and it took me the better part of 30 minutes to find a place safe enough to shoot this picture.

South of Dease Lake, we crossed Gnat Pass (aptly named, I might add.  This is black fly and gnat season apparently, which I understand is anytime it's above freezing.)  South of Gnat Pass was Lower Gnat Lake, which I though was rather picturesque:



There was more beautiful scenery than I could find a safe spot to pull over and take a picture of, but the terrain today was one of the most beautiful parts of the trip so far.

I'm staying at the Bell2 Lodge in the middle of nowhere about 300 miles south of Watson Lake and 500 miles northwest of Prince George, BC.  Literally in the middle of nowhere is this nice little resort:



The resort mainly has cabins for rent, but they have some single rooms in a "dormitory" setting, where I'm staying.  So far, I have the building to myself.

Alongside the resort is the Bell-Irving River:



The resort has a heliport between the river and the main lodge:



The helicopters are ferrying work crews up into the mountains, where they're building logging camps.  According the the girl at the desk, it's a 40-minute chopper ride to the camps.  I have no idea how they plan to get the logs out, but I would assume they're building a logging road.

Anyway, that's it from Bell 2, British Columbia.  Heading for Burns Lake, BC tomorrow, which apparently has a Post Office.  Miles today:  313.  Total:  7,172.

Blog Archive